D&D New DM Tips
Are you an aspiring Game Master?
Have you and your friends been interested in playing D&D or another TTRPG but no one wants to step into the Role of GM?
Maybe you’ve been watching Critical Role and now you’re itching to run a game yourself but you’re feeling nervous about getting behind the screen? Well fret no longer friend.
I was invited to the 19 Hits the Dragon Podcast as a special guest to share some tips on how to start as a new GM.
In this episode we discuss how long I (Dan) have been involved in D&D and TTRPGs. My experience with coaching many new DMs at various PAX events (Penny Arcade Expos). Tune in and listen as we share the knowledge and wisdom of combined GMs that have come before.
So whether you’ve been creating a homebrew world from scratch and are sitting on all of your deep lore, or you’ve never looked at a D&D adventure in your life but you’re eager to play.
We’re here to coach you on how to pick up a starter set get some friends around the table, be it virtual or physical, and get to rolling them bones right away.
With some hot First Time GM tips such as:
- Start in the action
- Have the players interact with the game mechanics as soon as possible
- Walk your players through their first dice rolls
- Include a small combat some developments and then wrap the first session up with their first boss battle
- You’ll be GMing like a pro in no time.
- Dan talks about turning the Hangover into a 1-Shot. You can read more about that here: https://www.nonfictiongaming.com/2016/09/28/turning-hangover-star-wars-rpg-eote-session/
- His session 0 character questionnaire can be found here: https://www.nonfictiongaming.com/2017/05/16/questions-dm-ask-players-starting-dd-campaign/
- He also mentions Sly Flourish’s videos Tips for the Lazy Dungeon Master. You can find the playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLb39x-29puapg3APswE8JXskxiUpLttgg
A huge thank you to Hannah Miller for editing the episodes and to Paul Mackie for their rocking theme song.